The folk holiday on December 24 is known as Nikon, Nikon’s Day.
National holiday on December 24 / photo from UNIAN
On December 24, Christians celebrate the church holiday of three saints: the brothers Daniel and Luke the Stylites, as well as Nikon Sukhoi. They prayed to Saint Nikon that day to drive away evil spirits. Catholics, Protestants and some Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas Eve – Christmas Eve on this date.
Our ancestors lit a small lamp on Nikon’s day to add kind light to the house. On December 24, the fire was endowed with miraculous and special power. A candle was lit in the sick man’s house. They also performed a ceremony on ash – they took a handful of ash in their hand, threw it out at the intersection and prayed for the patient’s health.
On December 24, you can perform a ritual for a wish on an apple tree. To do this, make a wish and pluck the highest branch that you can reach. If the branch blooms before Orthodox Christmas, then the wish will come true.
What not to do on December 24
- You cannot eat meat and dairy products and eggs, since the Nativity Fast is still going on.
- Do not pour water on the fire. You can extinguish it with sand or earth.
- Hunting and fishing are prohibited on this day.
- Drinking alcohol is not recommended.
Signs of the weather on December 24
- If several squirrels have climbed into one hollow, then soon there will be frosts.
- Ravens behave restlessly – it will be a blizzard.
- Many small clouds in the blue sky – to a sharp cooling.
You may also be interested in news: