The folk holiday on August 3 was named Onufry the Silent, Silent.
Christians celebrate a church holiday on August 3 in honor of Onuphrius the Silent and the Christian prophet Ezekiel. On Onufry, our ancestors put grain into cellars and sheds, repaired barns and changed rotten boards.
Saint Onufry was known for his long silence, so the Slavs spent this day in silence. They believed that then Onufry would bless the person. In silence, they worked in the field or in the house, harvested vegetables and berries. The women silently prepared the food to make it delicious.
August 3 is considered a good day for picking apples. Apples picked today will keep for a long time. Apple jam, compote, jam are prepared from them. On August 3, it is customary to let a cat into the house – it is believed that the animal will bring prosperity and expel illnesses.
What not to do on August 3
- You should not swim in the reservoirs from this date, otherwise you will get sick.
- You can’t talk a lot, chatting not on business and gossiping, telling other people’s secrets, quarreling.
- It is strictly forbidden to cheat on this day.
- You can’t refuse help if you’ve been asked for it.
- You should not eat raw apples – they are poorly digested today.
Signs of the weather on August 3
- A lot of fireflies – by early autumn.
- If there are a lot of acorns, then the year will be fruitful.
- If owls hoot during the rain, then the weather will clear up soon.
- Cool night – to early winter.
- Rain with a thunderstorm – to a long and wet autumn.
- Fog creeps over the earth – to warming.