The national holiday on March 19 is known as Constantine’s day, bird’s flight.
On March 19, the Orthodox Church honors the memory of the Venerable Cypriot Saint Arcadius and Martyr Constantine. Our ancestors believed that it was on this day that a stork flies from warm lands. This bird was treated with great respect. There are many positive signs associated with storks.
Seeing a stork on March 19 was considered a good omen. Such a person will be lucky all year in all matters. And if a family of storks settled in a garden or yard, then its owners will be very happy.
On March 19, children and youth made bird feeders from improvised means. The feeders were filled with grain and hung around the garden. They did this so that the birds settled in the garden and hunted for worms and other pests.
March 19 began to collect birch sap. It was canned for the winter or left to ferment. On the basis of birch sap, a low-alcohol healthy drink was prepared. Also on this day, the water in the well was blessed.
What not to do on March 19
On this day, you can not tell your secrets and plans for the future to unfamiliar people. Otherwise, your secrets will quickly become known to envious people and ill-wishers.
Signs of the weather March 19
There are such signs about the weather on this day:
- If the morning of March 10 is frosty, then frosts are possible for another forty days.
- The cat hides under a blanket or on a radiator – for a cold snap soon.
- High clouds in the blue sky portend warming.
- If a strong wind blows, the rest of March will be windy and cold.
- Swallows and storks have arrived – to early warming and a good harvest of vegetables this year.
It is important to note that in our time the climate has changed a lot, and not all old signs are relevant to us.